Family Day at PdA
When you hear the names Michelangelo, Leonardo and Raphael do you automatically think, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
Does the thought of touring an art gallery leave you cold?
Do you think to create art you have to be an “artist?”
Place des Arts wants to blow the dust off those notions and shed light on the world of fine art!
Family Day at PdA is designed to actively engage families in learning about art in a fun, interactive and informal environment. Each family day offers a chance to view our current exhibitions and take part in several all-ages, drop-in style workshops based on the subject matter and mediums used by the artists.
Download our 2016/17 Events, Performances and Exhibitions Guide
Family Day Schedule FREE ADMISSION!
Register online at brownpapertickets.com
| by phone at 604.664.1636
Sunday, January 22, 2017, 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Come down for the first Family Day at PdA of the new year and tour Frederik Popowich’s exhibition Collision, Bob Leier’s Wood Spirits and Divine Lights: Collective Unconscious by the artist group Hfour. Then participate in a variety of all-ages, drop-in style art activities related to the exhibitions. You’ll also have a chance to participate in Notes in Painting, an activity that involves painting along to live music performed by Place des Arts piano teacher Barry Tan at 2:00pm and 2:30pm
- Inspired by Bob Leier’s symmetrical photography, make your own Rorschach blots using ink and paper;
- Design a faux stained-glass window using coloured transparencies, inspired by those exhibited by Hfour;
- Let the music move you as your paint your own masterpiece in Notes in Painting;
- Use bottle caps and paint to make your own mini snowmen.
Sunday, April 9, 2017, 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Join us for our final Family Day at PdA of the season. Take a look at
the exhibitions Communications of Beauty and Function by Hitomi
McKenzie, Whisperings by Catherine Nicholls and Anni Hunt and Codex
Pacificus by Laara Cerman. Meet some of the artists and participate in
three exhibition-inspired, drop-in art activities. Wrap up your trip
with free concert by senior Place des Arts music students at 3pm.
- Cut found leaves to make unique collage art with help from artist Laara Cerman;
- Learn how to sew and use fabric scraps to make a collage;
buttons on sheet music templates to make your own micro-song. All the
songs will be played by a teacher and turned into a collaborative
- Attend a free concert performed by Place des Arts music ensembles.
Thanks to our Family Day sponsor Vancity!